We supply Ilmenite in bulk quantity as per customer end requirements, mostly for use in the paints, fabrics, plastics, paper, sunscreen, food and cosmetics industries (as a source of titanium dioxide).
MBN Resources Sdn. Bhd offers superior quality Ilmenite, mined under environmentally safe conditions.
Ilmenite is a weakly magnetic titanium-iron oxide mineral which is commonly iron-black or steel-grey in colour. It is a crystalline iron titanium oxide (FeTiO3).
Ilmenite is mostly mined for titanium dioxide production. Finely ground titanium dioxide is a bright white powder commonly used as a base pigment in paint, paper and plastics. Ilmenite sand is also used as a sandblasting agent in the cleaning of diecasting dies.
The world consumption of Ilmenite rises approximately 5% to 8% every year, with demand growth most strongly centred in Asian economies.
Ilmenite is used:
- As a furnace lining in the steel industry and also as a blasting medium. After removing the iron particles, Ilmenite can be additionally treated to produce Synthetic Rutile, which can be further developed to make Titanium Dioxide.
- Ilmenite grains are often modified to leucoxene which is a mixture of several oxide minerals. It can be viewed as very fine-grained light-colored or brownish coating on ilmenite grains. It is used as a protective coating for welding electrodes, in production of pigments, as filler in paints to increase whiteness and brilliance, and as a source of titanium for the production of titanium metals.
- Ilmenite is used as a source of Titanium dioxide (TiO2), which is a non-toxic pigment with High Refractive Index or Opacity. It possesses high thermal stability and chemical inertness. TiO2 has extensive application as a premier pigment used extensively in the paint industry. Nearly 90% of the titanium mineral manufactured in the world is utilized in the manufacture of white titanium dioxide pigment.
- TiO2 is also used in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and even added to foodstuffs such as flour, icing sugar and sweets as well as toothpaste to improve their brightness.
- Titanium dioxide is used in the manufacture of many sunscreen lotions and creams because of it non-toxicity and UV absorption properties.
- Titanium metal is also increasingly being used in manufacturing sports equipment, jewellery and for advanced engineering applications.
- Ilmenite have withstood extreme temperatures and is therefore used in the steel industry to line blast furnaces.
- Ilmenite’s hardness also makes it very useful as an abrasive.